General Electrical Safety
Never touch a downed power line. Call your electric co-op to report it immediately. Avoid contact with overhead lines during cleanup and other activities. Assume all wires on the ground are electrically charged.
If water has risen above the electrical outlets in your home, contact a licensed electrician before turning on your main circuit breaker. Outlets and wiring that have come in contact with water could present a fire and shock hazard.
Allow all electrical appliance and electronic equipment, once submerged, to dry thoroughly. Have them checked by a qualified repair person before turning them on.
Look for and replace damaged extension and appliance cords, loose prongs, or plugs.
- Portable electric generators are often put into use for temporary power. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions for installation and operation.
- Take special care not to overload the generator. Use appropriately sized extension cords to carry the electric load. Make sure the cords have a grounded, three-pronged plug and are in good condition.
- Never run cords under rugs or carpets.
- Never connect generators to another power source such as power lines. The reverse flow of electricity can electrocute an unsuspecting utility worker.
What to do if you lose power:
- The fuses or breakers, in your premises, are located beyond the meter, which are considered on the consumer side. Please make sure you check your breaker box for burned fuses or tripped breakers before calling for assistance. Mora-San Miguel Electric Cooperative will assess charges on calls, which turn out to be on the consumer side, beyond the meter.
- Call a neighbor, if possible, to determine if you are the only one without power or if several neighbors are also without power.
If the first steps indicate an outage, call our offices at the following phone numbers immediately, during work hours (8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday).