Skip to main navigation.


General Electrical Safety

Never touch a downed power line. Call your electric co-op to report it immediately. Avoid contact with overhead lines during cleanup and other activities. Assume all wires on the ground are electrically charged.

If water has risen above the electrical outlets in your home, contact a licensed electrician before turning on your main circuit breaker. Outlets and wiring that have come in contact with water could present a fire and shock hazard.

Allow all electrical appliance and electronic equipment, once submerged, to dry thoroughly. Have them checked by a qualified repair person before turning them on.

Look for and replace damaged extension and appliance cords, loose prongs, or plugs.

Generator Safety

  • Portable electric generators are often put into use for temporary power. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions for installation and operation.
  • Take special care not to overload the generator. Use appropriately sized extension cords to carry the electric load. Make sure the cords have a grounded, three-pronged plug and are in good condition. 
  • Never run cords under rugs or carpets.
  • Never connect generators to another power source such as power lines. The reverse flow of electricity can electrocute an unsuspecting utility worker.


Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo